|WHAT IS NEW|
THE STONE COTTAGEJohann George Schaefer built the Stone Cottage between 1879-1889. The stone blocks were quarried from the site and, where protected by the verandahs, have retained their original colour. The timber is also of local origin and the roofing of English iron.
Johann Schaefer came to Australia in the barque “Caesar” which brought a full complement of German immigrants from Hamburg in 1855. His wife accompanied him and they lived at Broadwater and Woombah before purchasing this land from George Watson in 1879.
After Johann Schaefer’s death in 1905 the cottage was occupied by Mary Gregory whose daughter Minnie married Garibaldi Tyler well known photographer and business man in Maclean and whose daughter Bessie was a very popular teacher here. Mrs. Gregory died in 1915 and the cottage was subsequently occupied by a succession of tenants. It was acquired by Maclean Shire Council and given to the Historical Society for development as a Museum in 1973.
Update 2013 The Stone Cottage (see image above) had a facelift this year. It now has a new roof, new verandah rails and wires and stone wall repointed.